Meets at – The Masonic Hall, Bruton BA10 0AH at 18.30 except October on the fourth Wednesday at 18.00 Months – January, April, June and October (18:00).
Consecrated 1868 at Shepton Mallet Meets at the Masonic Hall, High Street, Bruton. Founded in Shepton Mallet in 1850, Royal Cyrus Chapter No.285 remained there until 2002 when it moved to its present home in Bruton. An earlier attempt to establish a Royal Arch Chapter was made in 1823, but its failure was the result of the economic problems affecting in Shepton Mallet at this time. The second attempt in was initially more successful. At a meeting of Love and Honour Lodge No.285 on 20th June 1849 the brethren were informed that the Grand Chapter of England had approved a Petition for a Royal Arch Chapter to be attached to their Lodge. The Charter, bearing the name of the Royal Cyrus and dated the 2nd May 1849, was ready and would be supplied to them on payment of the usual fees. The Chapter’s first convocation was duly held on the 22nd of April 1850.
Royal Cyrus Chapter was one of the founding Chapters of the Provincial Grand Chapter of Somerset in 1880 and it was announced that Col. Adair had been appointed Provincial Grand Superintendent. Chapter representatives were appointed to attend the first Provincial Meeting in Taunton.
In 2015 the Grand Superintendent E Comp D John Bennett presented the Chapter with a commemorative banner to record the part that Royal Cyrus Chapter played in the foundation of The Provincial Grand Chapter of Somerset With the establishment of a Provincial Grand Chapter came a gradual standardisation of Masonic practice.
If you would like to find out more about the Royal Cyrus Chapter email 📧 Scribe – E- Eric Thornborough